Decimation of the Aral Sea
In the seventies, the rivers that fed water into the Aral Sea were diverted to nourish cotton fields in the region. Now just forty years later, the Aral Sea has been utterly annihilated, now remaining just as three small bodies of water. Endemic populations of species that once relied on the watershed from the region have been decimated, reduced from thousands to just hundreds and even tens in number. Humans in the area are also experiencing negative effects, including higher rates of illness and lower life spans—echoing the overall biological health of the area. Thankfully, the issue has been recognized, and conservationists are making efforts to rehabilitate the region. These efforts include protecting wildlife and slowly reverting rivers to their original paths in an attempt to fill the water basin once again.
Tagged as: aral sea. earth. environment. habitat destruction. writings.
- aarioc likes this
- alexsnotsosecretworld likes this
- brunomarconi reblogged this from pintu and added:
- officiousseeingeyebitch- likes this
- pintu reblogged this from gedenkenbrauchtwissen
- gedenkenbrauchtwissen reblogged this from greenmanwanderings
- greenmanwanderings reblogged this from ecoevolution
- ecoevolution posted this